Associate Business Design Director
We are looking for an Associate Business Design Director to join our New York studio full-time to lead and evolve Smart’s Business Design capability. The right candidate will have hands-on experience developing business strategies that incorporate customer desirability, business viability and technical feasibility.
You will work with designers and researchers to develop creative strategies for our clients that further our mission of designing a smarter world.
As a business designer on client projects, you will ask insightful questions of stakeholders to gather a strong understanding of organizational orthodoxies and needs, share inspiring industry exemplars, conceive and analyze behavioral or survey-based quantitative studies, and synthesize qualitative and quantitative inputs into actionable opportunities and roadmaps. You will guide clients (and Smart Design teams) through the business viability process to assess investments in new products, services, or ventures and design in-market pilots to validate business propositions.
Key Responsibilities on projects:
- Industry and trends research
- Competitor analysis and benchmarking
- KPI definition
- ROI modeling
- Pro forma financial statements to support recommendations to clients
- Market segmentation and sizing
- Planning and road mapping, including identification of internal organizational capabilities or roadblocks
- Quantitative research design and analysis
As the business design lead for Smart, you will help build our business capability, be involved in proposals and pitching, and may help prepare internal reports to inform our business development strategy and targets.
Naturally you’ll have:
- 7+ years’ experience defining value proposition, business model design, financial modeling, and/or exploratory data analysis (in-house and consulting experience a plus)
- MBA, Master’s degree or business degree preferred
- Experience with quantitative research (expert-level excel and/or survey software eg. Tableau)
- Experience producing recommendations based on sometimes conflicting research
- Ability to explain business topics to other designers and build awareness around the discipline and the value to projects
- Experience facilitating client or research workshops working with designers and strategists
- Interest and familiarity conducting design research and a high degree of empathy for user needs
- Strong presentation skills to bring forward a strong perspective during business development and give project stakeholders confidence during high-stakes projects
- Team and project leadership experience