Associate Design Director (Innovation focused)
We are looking for a talented Associate Director, who is rooted in industrial design and most excited by product research and concepting at the front end of innovation. Associate Directors lead projects, help mentor and provide guidance to junior designers.
We’re especially fond of quick thinkers, problem solvers and good communicators with experience in sustainability, CPG, healthcare, and new product strategy.
– Provide industrial design expertise in BD situations (planning and scoping projects, presenting and storytelling in pitches, outreach, etc.)
– Lead consumer focused client projects and client communication including brainstorms
– Conduct product research sessions from shopalongs, retails audits, co-creation sessions with use of physical models and prototypes at times overseeing a strategist
– Generate various concepts for client problems finding inspiration to solve problems in new ways by mining what already exists
– Clearly communicate how design recommendations achieve strategic objectives
– Manage a small team of industrial designers and contribute to the leadership of the industrial design team at Smart
Naturally, you have:
– 10+ years of experience as an industrial designer
– Consulting experience delivering product ideas to external stakeholders
– An incurable curiosity relating to all things design
– Passion for conceptualizing and designing meaningful product solutions for people in their homes (healthcare, sustainability, and CPG innovation a plus)
– Organized and comfortable leading project teams and client meetings
– Comfortable providing creative direction to junior industrial designers
– No fear of teamwork, brainstorming sessions or presenting in front of your team
– Healthy email habits, making you a communicative and responsive team player
– Ability to confidently present your design to clients and answer any questions
Please note, although we are remote through June, the role is based in Brooklyn and will need to be local by August 2022.
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. At this time, we are unable to sponsor for this position.