We’re looking for a Design Director for a full-time position in London.
This role will work with cross-functional teams leading interaction and user experience across digital and physical products for clients ranging from fast-growing startups to some of the world’s most recognized brands in mobility (automotive), healthcare and financial services. Directors at Smart wear many hats and require a blend of design knowledge, eagerness to lead teams and mentor staff, help secure business, and author thought leadership pieces.
The position has four primary areas of focus as outlined below.
- Creative Leadership to Smart Design, London: Working with the Managing Director and Strategy Leads, help define and grow Smart’s European business, guiding the creative excellence of our work, mentoring staff, and helping to evolve our process as we find new ways to deliver meaningful impact to users and clients.
- Lead Digital product design and User Experience programs: Spend between 50%-75% of your time creative directing complex user experience (UX) programs at the intersection of design, strategy and technology. You will be involved in user research, ideation and design, managing project teams and elevating our work to a world-class level.
- Drive business development opportunities: Partner with London and global leadership to develop points of view for Business Development efforts in RFIs/RFPs and pitch meetings. Develop and maintain key client relationships to grow project engagements into longstanding client accounts over time.
- Author thought leadership: Create new points of view for use in articles and videos for marketing purposes. Speak externally about Smart’s evolving digital and user experience capabilities.
Naturally, you have:
- 12+ years of experience as an interaction or experience designer, designing products for multiple platforms including research, wireframes, user flowers, journey maps, usability, protoyping and working alongside developers
- Proven expertise to lead complex digital product projects with small and large organizations building consensus on large UX initiatives
- Experience in new business development — pitching, authoring proposals, presenting, scoping and resourcing.
- Experience managing and mentoring designers (interaction designers, UI designers, visual designers, service designers)
- Incredible skills in UX strategy and ability to manage teams throughout an iterative design process
- Savvy with the latest technology including wearables, voice UI and prototyping trends
- A solid understanding of both design thinking and agile methodologies, and recognizing how to leverage some combination for more impact
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience presenting and selling solutions to clients
- Involved in the design community (written articles, judging panels, speaking engagement, etc.)
- Enthusiasm to to contribute to studio culture and inspire a small yet powerful team to do their best work
- Great design is based on understanding other people, how they behave, what they care about, what they want to achieve, and how they work