We’re looking for a Design Director for a full-time position in London.
Directors at Smart wear many hats and require a blend of design knowledge, enthusiasm to lead teams and mentor staff, help secure business, and author thought leadership pieces. This role will work across a variety of projects with cross-functional teams both screen based and non screen based (physical) creating products for clients ranging from fast-growing startups to some of the world’s most recognized brands in mobility (automotive), healthcare and financial services.
The position has four primary areas of focus as outlined below.
- Bring new Creative Leadership to Smart Design, London: Working together with the Managing Director and Strategy Leads in London, help define and grow Smart’s European business of the future. Manage and grow the design team, defining the capabilities, responsibilities and expectations for project team members in line with client needs and company strategy, and helping their professional growth.
- Lead projects at the intersection of Design, Strategy, and Technology: Creative direct large & complex user experience (UX) programs, with a slant towards digital programs and digital touch points. You will be involved in the ideation and design process, ensuring your design expertise elevates our work to a world-class level.
- Drive business development opportunities: Act as the Design Content Lead in the London studio representing various design disciplines (service design, interaction design, visual design and industrial design) and develop points of view for Business Development efforts. Develop and maintain key client relationships, actively growing beyond initial project engagements over time
- Author thought leadership: Explore thought leadership opportunities and create new points of view for use in articles and videos for marketing purposes. Build content development and speak externally about Smart’s evolving digital and user experience capabilities.
- Mentorship of staff: Define responsibilities and expectations for report-tos, and specifically project team members, providing project guidance and helping their professional growth.
Naturally, you have:
- 12+ years of experience as a designer, designing products for multiple platforms
- Experience and ability to lead complex UX projects
- Experience representing and advocating the capabilities of your design team before clients and the public
- Experience estimating project resource needs for proposals
- Experience managing and mentoring designers (service designers, interaction designers, visual designers, industrial designers)
- Incredible skills in UX strategy and ability to manage teams throughout an iterative design process
- A solid toolkit of tools and methods to solve any given design problem, with a knack for custom combinations of design thinking and agile methodologies
- Skill in presenting and selling solutions to clients
- Provided thought leadership to innovation, design and business communities
- Effectively navigated complex organizations and built consensus on large UX initiatives
- Great design is based on understanding other people, how they behave, what they care about, what they want to achieve, and how they work
- Energy to join in and contribute to one of the best studio cultures in London around
- Enthusiasm for inspiring a small yet powerful team to do their best work