Freelance Design Engineer
At Smart Design, the Engineering practice is tightly integrated with all of the design disciplines helping teams to identify opportunities for design to help people in their everyday lives. A primary focus of the engineering team is to discover and prove out opportunities for innovation early in the design process and to work collaboratively on solving the resulting technical challenges.
Senior Design Engineers also lead the engineering phases of projects and help mentor and provide guidance to junior engineers.
- Interact directly with clients and present your work ranging from housewares, consumer electronics, automotive and healthcare
- Work closely with designers during ideation to ensure technical feasibility and design for manufacturing
- Lead the engineering phases including prototyping at varying levels of fidelity, mechanism design, 3D CAD (ProE/Creo preferred), technical documentation
- Creation of robust, easy to edit CAD models built using best practices, and easily understood by client’s internal technical / engineering teams and/or manufacturing factories
Naturally You’ll Have:
- 6+ years’ experience as a design engineer
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary teams, client’s internal resources and manufacturing partners
- Experience solving problems in categories such as house wares, consumer products, healthcare and packaging
- Experience with parametric 3D CAD software (we use ProE and Solidworks – with surfacing experience)
- A love of teamwork
- Self-driven, but not shy about asking for help
- A passion for tinkering
- Prototyping chops (thrown together models for quick and dirty testing rather than appearance models)
- Great communication skills both verbally and electronically, and an ability to convey your passion in client presentations
- A desire to understand people and produce thoughtful products that make their lives better
Resumes submitted without a portfolio/project examples will NOT be considered.