We are always looking for talented, enthusiastic and experienced freelancers to supplement our own team, as internal and client projects often benefit from a specific expertise.
As a collaborator on one of Smart’s teams, you’ll be working side by side with Smarties of different disciplines – including strategists, interaction designers, visual designers, industrial designers, and engineers – to fully understand rich problem spaces, and engage in research to identify meaningful insights and opportunities that drive the development of solutions that enable best-in-class user experiences and successful business outcomes.
Projects at Smart span digital and physical to deliver empowering experiences. Whether it’s defining and coordinating the touchpoints for a new healthcare service, shaping a compelling vision for a future digital experience, or the articulating the strategy and design for an MVP software launch, we design products and services with intent, giving life to ideas that have enduring impact.
Please submit your resume and a portfolio for all design, engineering, and copywriting roles (applications without a portfolio will not be considered). If we select you for our freelancer network or a specific project role we will be in contact directly.
Although our requirements may change per project, we do have some general expectations about the freelancers we like to work with most.
Naturally, you have:
- 5+ years of experience in your field
- Experience as the client-facing discipline lead on multiple projects
- Skill in presenting and defending your ideas internally and to clients
- Enthusiasm for working in teams, but ability to self-manage
- Ability to take ownership of your work and confidently articulate design intent while welcoming feedback and dialogue
- Availability to be onsite at least for meetings (some freelance roles will require more time onsite; travel may be required, but the majority of projects involve in-studio work)
- Comfort and eagerness to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Great design is based on understanding other people, how they behave, what they care about, what they want to achieve, and how they work