Associate Design Director – Industrial Design
We are looking for an Associate Design Director to help co-lead the Industrial Design practice in our NY Studio.
The Associate Design Director will participate in business development efforts to win projects, provide hands on project leadership and manage a team of designers from staff to senior level. The Industrial Design practice at Smart is very hands-on; designers make stuff, work with engineers, create prototypes, test their concepts with real users with the goal of helping improve the way people live and work. Accordingly, the ideal candidate will have a well-developed sense of form, proportion, color and materials to appropriately lead client work. But he/she is also comfortable and excited to lead some client work on the front-end of innovation that may not result in a physical product.
- Lead product development projects driven by user insights with expert understanding of core ID skills from hand sketching, digital visualization, CAD, materials and manufacturing knowledge, and impressive design sensibility
- Manage staff, defining responsibilities and expectations for report-tos, and project team members, providing project guidance and helping their professional growth.
- Contribute to business development activities in collaboration with Smart’s leadership team.
- Be active in the design community in forms of competitions, teaching, or thought leadership such as blog posts, speaking engagements, etc.
Naturally, you have:
- 10+ years of experience as an industrial designer.
- Expertise in human-centered design and design research methodologies.
- Specific experience managing a team of designers.
- Experience in business development and project scoping.
- An incurable curiosity relating to all things design.
- Passion for conceptualizing and designing meaningful product solutions for people in their homes (housewares industry experience a plus).
- Organized and comfortable leading project teams and client meetings.
- Incredible 2D skills like hand sketching, Illustrator and Photoshop rendering.
- Equally incredible 3D CAD skills like Rhino and SolidWorks.
- Ability to confidently present your design to clients and answer any questions.
Direct candidates only; NO THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS PLEASE. At this time, we are unable to sponsor for this position.