Marketing Writer & Editor
Smart is looking for a business and design-savvy editor and writer. You’re a communications whiz with a knack for big picture thinking, diverse interests and an uncanny ability to simplify complex concepts in a smart, human-centered way.
In this role, you will coordinate and drive marketing editorial projects, lead the creation of all content for Smart’s website, and develop strategic communications materials for a variety of needs. Your aim will be to generate positive impact and influence for our business through compelling marketing content.
- Be the lead writer for our website, stewarding the creation of all editorial content on the site
- Write, edit and/or steward project case studies, awards entries, microsites and other brand expressions, based on specific marketing and business development strategies
- Draft by-lines and other content for press placement in a variety of industry and business outlets
- Work closely with the Marketing Director on press outreach strategy and activate this plan including:
- Pitch agreed publicity opportunities with relevant media outlets
- Media monitoring of relevant news, client and competitor press and Smart mentions
- Maintain database of PR relationships
- Work with Smart’s thought leaders and key business ambassadors to craft and direct content according to business needs – including marketing materials, blog posts, white papers, videos, presentations and other formats as required
- Co-create storytelling strategies with marketing, business development, and design leads within Smart, to ensure content lands on the right platform appropriately and consistently
- Act as a brand guardian, helping to ensure all public facing marketing and company messages are on brand and aligned with our editorial focus
- Work with internal design teams or external collaborators to produce immersive, multi-media expressions of our hero stories such as this and this.
Experience and mindset:
- 7-10 years of experience as a marketing editor and writer for creative and forward thinking brands, companies or media outlets
- Sound understanding of brand, with the ability to shape content so that it aligns with our brand identity and tone of voice
- You’re happiest when connecting with others to bring stories and editorial initiatives to life as a team
- Multi-tasker capable of producing, managing, and editing several pieces of content simultaneously, while prioritizing to deadline
- Has worked with designers, developers, and other key stakeholders, having empathy and understanding of those skillsets
- Sophisticated grasp of marketing metrics and the drivers of business impact
- Experience with creating video, audio and multi-media stories
In addition to a resume and cover letter, please provide us with 2-3 writing samples of existing work. Feel free to showcase your diversity in these samples across medium, topic or other variable.