New Business Director
Smart Design is looking for a resourceful and natural networker to lead pipeline generation and outbound business development strategy and activities in our New York studio. If you are an eager ‘hunter’ read on!
The ideal candidate is a strong communicator who can expertly articulate what makes Smart special and has a talent for finding opportunities to have those conversations with diverse audiences.
The New Business Director will find strategic ways to keep Smart top of mind within the design and innovation industry and knows when to mobilize our design leads to leverage their expertise as opportunities develop. This role spans across client categories, but requires a depth of knowledge and focus on digital product and service innovation with exposure to business design, brand strategy, and UX design.
- Proactively own the overall outbound business development efforts in the NY studio, but capable of full BD process from engagement, needs assessment, opportunity framing, proposal development, and delivery.
- Create and execute new business plans for the New York studio including the establishment of industry target profiles, prospecting, and working with Marketing to meet business development objectives.
- Identify and suggest trade shows, speaking opportunities, etc., to develop new business contacts and keep metrics on what’s most effective.
- Appropriately qualify leads and facilitate the BD process as opportunities become tangible, helping to craft pitch decks and respond to RFPs.
- Be mindful of industry happenings and interesting items in the press to leverage as outreach for potential opportunities early on.
- Work collaboratively with dynamic, multi-disciplinary teams to close business.
Naturally, you’ll have:
- 10+ years of business development and/or sales experience in a multi-disciplinary design firm, innovation consultancy or strategy firm.
- Superb writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take a consultative approach to engage with C-level executives
- Been successful in a self-directed role, but understand that collaboration with teams is critical to success.
- A track record of identifying the right prospects, navigating, and finding ways in to connect with them.
- Proven ability to consistently fill new business pipeline, develop and close new opportunities.
- Experience articulating and securing large scale strategic design projects.
- Polished, persuasive and consultative writing and presentation abilities.
- Ability to travel as needed, 25% on average.