Sr. Design Engineer
Smart is seeking a detail oriented creator to join the Engineering practice in our New York studio.
At Smart Design, the Engineering practice is tightly integrated with all of the design disciplines, helping teams to identify opportunities for design that help people in their everyday lives. A primary focus of the engineering team is to discover and prove out opportunities for innovation early in the design process and to work collaboratively on solving the resulting technical challenges.
This position has a flexible WFH policy but will also have access to the studio. As conditions improve there will be more time in the studio to work with the team.
- Act as a core team member on client projects, interacting directly with clients, and presenting your work ranging from housewares, consumer electronics, wireless technologies, and healthcare.
- Create high quality project content.
- Actively and efficiently support teams in achieving project goals while maintaining project profitability.
- Work closely with designers during ideation to ensure technical feasibility and design for manufacturing (DFM).
- Lead the engineering phases including prototyping at varying levels of fidelity, mechanism design, 3D CAD (ProE/Creo preferred),and technical documentation.
- Creation of robust, easy to edit CAD models built using best practices, and easily understood by clients internal technical/engineering teams and/or manufacturing factories.
- May act as team leader on small sized discipline specific projects.
Naturally You’ll Have
- 6+ years of experience as a design engineer creating products.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering (MS preferred)
- Ability to draw from experience collaborating with multidisciplinary teams, clients internal resources, and manufacturing partners.
- Experience solving problems in categories such as housewares, consumer electronics, healthcare, and packaging.
- Experience with CAD software (ProE/Creo or Solidworks).
- A love for teamwork and planning.
- Skill and excitement for presenting to clients.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and have desire to share what you know.
- Capable of empathy. Great design is based on understanding other people, how they behave, what they care about, what they want to achieve.